Friday, July 30, 2010

Email, Rceived July 28, 2010


So, I'm severely irked, and a short on sleep.

The fire alarm in our bedroom started chirping on Friday last week, about 3 AM. I moved out to the living area to sleep on the couch. That morning Hermana got upset, and told me I should have woken her up so she could come out with me. We tried to change the battery, only to find that the alarm is hard-wired into the house. We called the issue in, and they sent someone out to change the battery, explaining that the alarms were both hardwired and battery driven. The next day the alarm started chirping again, this time around 1:30. I called the office, but they didn't get back to me until about 3, at which point they told me I needed to call Q-net, the company they've outsourced their alarm system to. The opportunity did not present itself to make the call, and their offices are closed Sunday. I called Monday, and they sent someone over to change the whole unit. However, Tuesday at about 3:30, I woke up hot. I bumped around the apartment a little, turning on the fan, and about 4:00 AM, the alarm went off again. I tried calling q-net several times, but got no response. Last night, the alarm did not go off, but this morning, they came to do a monthly inspection. I told them what happened, and they left. I'm going to wait for a bit to see what happens, but needless to say, I'm tired. I understand that diagnosing an intermittent problem is hard, but I'm losing sleep, and that makes me cranky.

Happier thoughts to follow:

Antonio, And older man who Hermana Mendoza had been teaching for a while, is back from DeKalb. He's on date, and has a firm testimony. We're both thrilled. We were both worried for a bit, because he disappeared for 40 days. In Mexico, it's traditional for family to assume all a mother's responsibilities for 40 days after the birth of a child. Antonio was doing this for his daughter. but now he's back, and ready to be baptized.

That's about all that's really going on here. But I'm wondering: Hermana and I have seen a lot of flags at half-mast this week? Someone die, or something?