Friday, July 30, 2010

Email, Received July 21, 2010


I am being eaten alive.

Ok, obviously being out in the middle of nowhere means more mosquitoes, but dang! I've got a collection of about 25 bites. We’ve wanted to do the permetherin treatment on our clothes for a while, but with all the chaos of the mission leaders re-organizing and re-training, we've not been able to get any. I'm really starting to wonder if it might not be easier just to get an oatmeal bath instead of coating my legs with hydrocortisone cream.

That said, I'm sleeping well, although I'm having a harder time waking up in the morning. Hermana Mendoza is always worried about me getting enough sleep, because I wake up and stagger around like a zombie. I tell her that that means I'm sleeping well, and she doesn't seem to believe me. I don't think she understands that some of us just aren't morning people.

I'm still getting to know our investigators, and members, but I love working with the youth in the area. They’re enthusiastic and completely willing to help. This includes 19-year old Nephi, who's working on his mission papers while holding callings as ward clerk, councilor to the branch president (don't recall which) and branch missionary, this scattered with a couple others. He and a few other young men and women are willing to do anything to support the work. We're planning a week-long mini-mtc to help them get the tools they need. We're super excited, and we pray that the youth will attend.

I love receiving your letters, and I'm thrilled to know you're all doing well. You're all growing by leaps and bounds in your various ways, (Gramma's using skype?!?) and I can see plainly how the gospel is blessing your lives. Keep on rockin!

Love,
Hermana Maren Jones