Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Email Received January 19, 2011


Well, just when I was finally getting better, Sunday night/Monday morning, I got super, super sick. I emptied my whole digestive tract in about 3 hours between midnight and 3 AM. Needless to say, I think that was the worst night of my life. I was so incredibly sick, and a little scared, so we finally ended up calling Sister Doll about 1:30. (My companion did. I was busy in the bathroom.) Sister Doll just said I had a really bad flu bug, and I just had to let it run its course. I couldn't take any medicine, of course, and I was so thirsty, but couldn't drink. So I basically just lay on the couch all night (morning) long, curled around my stomach. The next day I ate very little, and yesterday, a little more. Just me, the couch, and my scriptures... and let me tell you, when your brain is mush, the parable of the olive branches is just not going to cut it. I was bored out of my mind, drifting in and out of sleep, with an intelligence score of about 7 not counting situational modifiers. (D&Drs should get that).

I sent a letter to Bishop Lott a while back. Hope he got it. How goes the stake reorganization, by the way?

Um, afraid not much else has happened. That's what happens when you're bed-ridden for 48 hours.
If you could put a gentle petition for letters in the blog, I'd appreciate it. I think everyone thinks they're in touch with me because they know what's happening in my life.

Since I have few minutes left, I thought I would write second e-mail detailing some of the things I've learned about my companion.

Hermana Lockwood is, at 5'8", the shortest in her family. She an outdoor enthusiast, and watches almost no TV. (Outside the mission, of course. We don't watch any here.) She enjoys weekend long backpacking trips, mountain climbing, and hiking, but not so much swimming. She claims to have superior genes (to which the elders always reply, "We’re not allowed to wear jeans in the mission,") and since she has not caught anything I have, I believe her. she has webbed toes, and is in awe of how wearing a missionary name tag is somehow liberating (the phrase, "we're missionaries; we do whatever we want" has been our theme this week, refereeing to the fact that we can do a lot of bizarre things that 'normal people' would never consider) and instantly adds +4 coolness, and allows us to use ugly skirts and ties to add to our coolness score, rather than detract. She studied Spanish for 5 years before the mission, but is having fun learning that there is a lot you quite simply don’t use in a real conversation. ("Baloncesto," despite what the teachers think, is not equivalent to "basketball.") She's perky, funny, and geeky, (her boyfriend is, absolutely no joke, an electrical engineer,) and we have a lot of fun together.

On a side note, I don't know if I've mentioned this, but knitting is a huge thing among the elders out here. I mean, HUGE. They get together and they're all talking like "circular needles, front stitch, yarn gauge, cable knit, PURL!" I've seen some pretty AMAZING beanies out here, and knitted ties are all the rage. Knitted camera cases are common too, and I've seen a few scripture bags that are knitted too. We all think its Hilarious.

Lots of Love,

Maren.