Thursday, December 23, 2010

Email from December 22, 2010


Well Hermana Lockwood wrapped all my presents. It is a tradition in her family to try and make presents as unidentifiable as possible, so I've been having fun trying to guess. It was funny because she told me when I could come look, and just looking, I said, "Well one of those little ones is a matchbox car." she immediately goes into panic, saying, "Oh man, where did I put it?" and starts looking around frantically. I see the little car on the floor first, unwrapped, and forgotten. she insists on wrapping it anyway.

Since then, she has forbidden me to feel any of my presents. Once I identified the chocolate orange and the boxes of Pocky, she then forbade me even to look at them. It has become a game in the evenings when we're writing in our journals for me to peek and try to figure out what is in the packages before she stops me.

I will be calling Christmas night, probably at 8:00, my time (which I believe is 6:00 pacific time), in accordance with what Daddy told me. I hope that does not clash with plans you may have had to go see Grandma. I will be calling the house number (509.545.5129) since I don't remember any of the cell phone numbers. If you want me to call another number or need me to call another time, you'll have to call the office and let them know.

We had the great opportunity to do a service activity this week. While knocking, a woman had asked us if we could help her sister for Christmas. She said that they had no work and no money, and would not have Christmas. She had called several churches the area and all had told her that "the lists are closed." We said we would think of what we could do to help. We talked to the relief society, and expected perhaps one dinner, and one by toy and one girl toy.  Well, we got a HUGE basket of food, and 75 dollars in wall-mart gift cards for toys. (Our additions consisted of a "Joy to the World" DVD and a Book of Mormon.) Holy Cow!!! The family was so thrilled, and surprised, and we just felt happy. We don't know if we'll ever see them again, but we hope they felt the love of Christ through us.

Sill hasn’t mailed the package. Sorry. Will do today.

Love,
Hermana Maren Jones.