Thursday, May 13, 2010

Email received May 12, 2010


I feel kind of like the episode "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day," in the part where the Hundred Acre Wood was all flooded. C-ville is distinctly wet, and rather cold. I'm thinking of putting the liner back in my coat.

As requested, I’m including some details about my companion.

Hermana Padilla (Pah-di-ya) is from Leon, Mexico, but her family is currently living in the driest part of California. She's fairly small, and a little quiet, which is not at all indicative of her personality: her frustrated refrain is often "I'm gonna punch him!" She is very much an American, although she looks very Spanish (European). This semblance confuses most of the Hispanic population, because they think she's just another gringa, (which I also think frustrates her a little.) We get along well, although neither of us does very well in the mornings, with the end result that we sleep in once in a while (although we never miss study.)

We've gotten a copy of the "stop smoking lesson," which is a set up for a week-long, 15 step program. We're using it with one investigator, and we think that if we can get him through the next two days, we'll get him baptized. FINALY.

Our investigator list is growing. We had a brief dry run for mother’s day, but we're thinking things will pick up again shortly.

Work, work, work. That’s what's up.

Chicago was Ok. The trip was poorly planned, and while we saw several interesting things, I was kind of bored. Also a lot of the things we had planed fell through - a lot of things that used to be free aren't anymore. Still, I have some nice pictures. Walking around the city just isn't exciting for me, but everyone else had fun, so I guess everything's ok.

I'm going to tell you a little about our bold, fearless District Tyrant (so he calls himself) Elder Nielson. He’s a class A geek, which means we get along very well. To give a summary of his personality, on our trip to Chicago, I spotted for him two books by the same author, named respectively "How to create a robot army" and "How to survive a robot uprising." Elder Nielson was thrilled, and bought them both to send ahead. Originally in the English program, he was 6 months in when they moved him to the Spanish program. They warned him one transfer ahead of time. Yes, he had to learn Spanish, in the field, in one transfer. Make the MTC look like a piece of cake. When we see each other, we spend the better part of the time making bad geek jokes that go over everyone else's head:

"What did the Zone leaders get for contacts this month?"

"Over 9000!!!"

"What, 9000?!?"

Congratulations to anyone who actually gets that.

To my chagrin, he has brought his Magic the Gathering cards with him. Not kosher. Still it'd be fun to play one day.

I'm sorry this letter is so little about me, but I hope you like it.

Love you all and miss you. Serving as best I can, and trying to get lost in the work.

Hermana Maren Jones

PS: no one has told me what HMM&S stands for....